“Life is a series of purposeful choices that can produce great rewards from great effort. Choose to craft your life around creative work that goes up like a tower and out to the world.” – The Tower
I have been a fan of Chris Guillebeau’s now for a few years and find him an incredibly insightful, and fascinating person! His website, The Art of Non Conformity is an educational and inspirational look at everything from building businesses you love, “travel hacking” the world, living unconventionally and living a life of purpose!
Chris’s latest contribution to the world is a new manifesto called “The Tower“. This manifesto was just released today. It’s short (23 pages), but easy to relate to and provides powerful lessons for you about finding your purpose in life!!!
“The Tower” tells the story of a video game he downloaded for a long plane trip across the Atlantic. In it, the player must build a tower and populate it with businesses, residents and restaurants, and whose goal is to continue to build and expand the player’s empire. The game is a metaphor for individuals finding purpose in their lives and building their own legacy “tower” which will long live when they are gone! It focuses on such topics as:
- Setting clear goals so you have something to strive for
- Needing rewards and achievements along the way to keep you inspired
- Having specific deliverables so you stay focused and on track
- Exercising influence over others to help you with your goal and inspiring them to pursue their own legacy goals
The manifesto advises you to ask yourself every day two simple questions:
What am I making today?
Who am I helping today?
Chris has two other manifestos he’s published over the past few years, which you should read to get insights into the topics of lifestyle design, online entrepreneurship, travel, and giving back!
Some of the fascinating things about Chris and his mission to give back have included the following:
- Has visited 173 countries and written about them, including such exotic and hard to reach locales as Cuba, Rwanda, Afghanistan & North Korea. More impressive… Chris has not reached his 35th birthday yet!
- He has created and hosts an event in Portland, Oregon known as “The World Domination Summit“.
*** NOTE *** I will be attending this event next year
- Released his first book last year also titled “The Art of Non Conformity: Set Your Own Rules, Life the Life You Want, and Change the World” which included a 63 city book tour
- Is currently completing a second book, to be released some time in 2012
- Publishes to his AONC website twice a week on Mondays & Thursdays, even when located thousands of miles away in places like Africa, Asia or small Pacific islands
- Is very active on Facebook and Twitter
- Is the creator of several lifestyle design products, several of which I personally have purchased and can vouch for! His products include:
- The Travel Hacking Cartel” which I wrote about previously in another post.
- The “Empire Building Kit” which I recently purchased as part of the Only72 sale
- “Frequent Flyer Master“
Chris Guillebeau and his site AONC have had a significant impact on me and my life! I have earned tens of thousands of airline miles and hotel points from following his travel hacking advice. I’ve become a blogger, active Twitter poster (@Self_HelpJunkie), am in the process of starting a business, and will be attending the World Domination Summit next year. His book has served as an inspiration to me, and I’m looking forward to learning from the Empire Building Kit. You can say I’ve become a part of Chris’s “small army”!!!