Like almost all the rest of the people in the world, I find myself reviewing what happened this past year and what I see in store for the future during the coming year. I started this blog just over a year ago in December 2010, as a way to express myself and share what was on my mind. Along the way I’ve tried to provide some helpful information, some anecdotes, some inspirational thoughts and some productivity tips. Judging by readership numbers, its been slow thus far, but I am making some progress!
In just over a year, my Twitter profile @Self_HelpJunkie has grown to 175 followers. I want to thank those who found what I have to say somewhat interesting, and plan in the coming year to continue to publish some good information and grow my followers. I published 26 blog articles this year, averaging one every 2 weeks. That’s not quite as many articles as I had hoped to write, but I’m still pleased that a year later, I didn’t give up on this. It’s funny how working full-time, attending grad school, starting a new relationship and all of life’s other twists and turns, will do its best to throw a curve your way to keep you from doing the things you know you should.
In reviewing my goals that I published January 1st last year, I realized that I didn’t make most of them happen. Though saying I failed to achieve most of my goals for the year might seem outlandish to admit, what I did accomplish that wasn’t planned out, was still significant!
- I read and/or listened to audio versions of 33 books this year
- I contributed 80+ hours to Habitat for Humanity and the American Cancer Society, including leading a team for 24 hours during the Relay for Life, in which we raised $3,300+ dollars!
- I met a wonderful woman named Christine who I have been dating steadily now for 9+ months
- I will be attending the second annual 3 day “World Domination Summit” put on by Chris Guillebeau in Portland in July 2012
- I signed up for a Real Estate Coaching Program to grow a business for myself
- I participated in the inaugural “Make Sh*t Happen” 8 week course taught by Jenny Blake
- I participated in the inaugural “Location Rebel” online program by Sean Ogle
- I’ve been a steady participant in Chris Guillebeau’s “Travel Hacking Cartel” since its founding. As a direct result of information I’ve learned from this site, I have earned in excess of 150,000 frequent flyer miles with various airlines, elite status with several hotel chains and other benefits!
So with that being said, where do I see myself going in the coming year. My plans are multi-phase, and in the coming weeks, I should be writing more specifically about what I will be implementing. In the meantime, here’s a short list of what I plan on focusing on:
“The greatest danger for most is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that our aim is too low and we reach it.” — Michaelangelo
“It’s kind of fun to do the impossible.” — Walt Disney
- Contribute at least one blog post a week to this site. This will include the creation of my own “manifesto” based on the lessons and style of such excellent other writers such as Chris Guillebeau’s “The Tower“, “A Brief Guide to World Domination“, & “279 Days to Overnight Success“; Joel Runyon’s “The Impossible Manifesto“; and Jonathan Mead’s “The Zero Hour Workweek” which can all be found here.
- Continue to grow my online presence. Increase my Twitter followers to over 500. Increase my blog readership to average over 100 views per day by year’s end
- Grow my investment business, my passive investments, and establish an online business, to be earning a minimum of $1,000 per month in income by year’s end
- Travel both domestically and abroad this year to at least 6 cities within the United States and 2-3 countries overseas
- Continue contributing both time and/or money to charitable organizations including Habitat for Humanity, the American Cancer Society, United Way and military organizations such as the USO and Paralyzed Veterans of America.
- Lately I’ve been finding myself more and more interested in “social entrepreneurship“. I’ll be writing more about this in the near future, but for now let me just say I plan on doing much more to increase this aspect in my life.
- Finally, I want to infuse some adventure in my life this year! I’ve been feeling kind of stagnant lately, so I see some adventures coming due in the very near future.
So there you have it! A summary of where I’ve been this past year, where I plan on going in the coming year, and a brief summary of the challenges I’m setting for myself. I prefer not to set New Year’s Resolutions, because statistics prove, the overwhelming number of people who set New Year’s Resolutions, usually give up on them by about the 3rd week of January.
So that’s my plan. More information will be coming in the weeks and months to follow. I hope you, the reader, will come along for the ride, and will also let me know what you’d like to see or hear from me. This site and this life after all is a constantly changing work in progress, and depends on others to make it happen!!!
Will you please share with me what your plans for your life will be?
“If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.“ — Thomas Edison