People post them to Facebook and Twitter all the time. Entire books are written on them. Movies inspire certain catch phrases that we remember. Most of us have one or two written down on a Post-it note and stuck to our computer or up on the fridge.
Everyone of us has a few favorite inspirational quotes that inspire us or lift our spirits a little bit. Usually however, after a brief smile or a few moments of feeling slightly uplifted, we tend to get caught up in the monotony of our day again, the inspiration forgotten, and nothing ever really changes in our lives.
Every once in awhile though, one or two phrases, a simple collection of words, really touches a nerve! Something that causes you to take a true look at your life or inspires some sleepless nights! You might not know or even care where it comes from, you just know that the sound of those words sends chills down your spine and rings in your ears like the lonely tone of a church bell, that you can still hear long after the sound ends!
I’ve spent many years reading books and articles and stories to inspire! This list is a collection of some of the most profound and memorable quotations I’ve ever come across. These quotes are ones that have stuck with me long after I first read them in print. May they inspire you to live a life of fullness and remarkable richness! May they cause you sleepless nights while you ponder them over and over and think how you can apply their wisdom to your own scenario. May they inspire no regret living and cause you to seize the day!
- To former Pepsi Co. executive John Sculley, whom Steve Jobs was trying to woo to Apple: “Do you want to spend the rest of your life selling sugared water, or do you want a chance to change the world?” — Steve Jobs
- “It’s better to be a pirate than to join the Navy.” — Steve Jobs
- “When you discover you’ve been leading only half a life, the other half is going to haunt you until you develop it.” — Phillips Brooks
- “Failure is not an option!” — Gene Kranz
- “The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them, to the impossible.” — Arthur C. Clarke
- “If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.” — Thomas Edison
- “And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” — Abraham Lincoln
- “Do or do not. There is no try.” — Yoda
- “Procrastination is like masturbation; in the end you’re just screwing yourself.” — Unknown
- “One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it’s worth watching.” — Unknown
- “Your life is like a book. The title page is your name, the preface your introduction to the world. The pages are a daily record of your efforts, trials, pleasures, discouragements, and achievements. Day by day your thoughts and acts are being inscribed in your book of life. Hour by hour, the record is being made that must stand for all time. Once the word ‘finis’ must be written, let it then be said of your book that it is a record of noble purposes, generous service, and work well-done.” — Grenville Kleiser
- “Wouldn’t it be Hell if God showed you what you could have been – and what you could have done?” — Fred Smith
- “I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze, than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.” — Jack London
- “A smooth sea never develops a skillful sailor.” — Ancient proverb
- “There aren’t any rules around here! We’re trying to accomplish something!” — Sign in Thomas Edison’s laboratory
- “There is a legend that when God was equipping man for his long life journey of exploration, the attendant good angel was about to add the gift of contentment and complete satisfaction. The Creator stayed his hand and said, ‘No, if you bestow that upon him you will rob him forever of all joy of self-discovery.’” — Orison Swett Marden
- “The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we hit it.” — Michelangelo
- “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” — Dr. Seuss
- “Entrepreneurship is living a few years of your life like most people won’t so you can spend the rest of your life like most people can’t.” — Unknown
- “Life doesn’t have a remote. Get up and change it yourself.” — @idillionaire
- “Why fit in when you were born to stand out!” — Dr. Seuss
- “It’s kind of fun to do the impossible.” — Walt Disney
- “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.“ — Margaret Mead
- “If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.“ — Thomas Edison
- “If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?” And whenever the answer has been “No” for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” — Steve Jobs
- “Somebody should tell us, right at the start of our lives, that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit, every minute of every day. Do it! I say. Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows.” – Pope Paul VI
This final quote is one which I hold the most important in my life. It’s a simple combination of 10 words, that when strung together represent the philosophy I strive to live my life by! It’s a simple statement that every time I repeat it to myself makes me realize, our time on this Earth is short… make the most of it!!!
“Live your life so your epitaph can read ‘NO REGRETS!’“
– What quotes inspire you the most?